Ivy just had her 4 month checkup on Friday. She is doing great! She now weighs 12 pounds 12 onces and is 25 inches long. She's in the 30th percentile in weight and 78th in height! She was so good at her appointment - didn't really cry, and was smiling and happy most of the time. She didn't like getting her shots, but she calmed down once they gave her the oral vaccine. I guess she liked the taste.
Ivy is starting to reach for things just a little bit. She is definitely grabbing things once they are put in her hands. She still loves standing when we hold her - especially if we stand her up somewhere high, like the mantle, so she can see the ceiling fan. She hasn't really rolled over again since that day when she discovered how, although I keep encouraging it. We can tell she can definitely see farther now - like across the room - which is neat. She can track our movements and will smile when she identifies us. She has also started to develop a little bit of stranger anxiety, which while not fun when we are trying to let others hold her, does make us feel good that she prefers us! For the longest time it didn't seem to matter to her who was holding her - I didn't seem to mean any more to her than the next person. But it doesn't feel that way anymore.
She is a very active baby - most of the time constantly moving or wanting to be moved. I call her a "motion addict". When we were in California, people were amazed at how much we had to keep moving her and bouncing her to keep her happy! Hopefully she will grow out of that phase, because our backs are hurting! Ivy also loves for us to play music and dance with her. A few times we've gotten her to really giggle while doing this and it is hilarious.
We have implemented some major changes in our household and things have been much better since. Within the last week we have ended nursing (a painful decision but we felt it was a necessary step, as feeding was becoming all consuming and I was battling Ivy to nurse every day) and as much as I am heartbroken over this, I can tell it was the right thing, as our entire household has been happier since. And Ivy is eating better.
We have also started "sleep training" - that is, trying to get Ivy to sleep without rocking her, swaddling her, giving her the paci, etc. We've been trying out Richard Ferber's method (in "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems"). For the most part she has done very well with the method, which has surprised me. We're still working on it, but she's doing well. It just got to the point where Adam and I were zombies every day because she was waking up during the night and keeping us up for hours.
Ivy has done better the last few times we have taken her out to a restaurant. We took her out last night and she sat happily in her carrier for over an hour! (Not sleeping, just sitting contentedly). We were amazed. I have also ventured out and taken her to Target and to Kohls (quick trips!) and she did fine. I put her in the Baby Bjorn carrier which worked great (as long as she's facing outwards, she loves the Bjorn).





